Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share sync configuration

Highlighted
Gungadinn
Deputy

Share sync configuration

Our office uses the heck out of Egnyte. The one thing I was wondering was is there a way to share a folder so that someone else in the office can sync automatically to the folder? The way that we currently do it is share the link to the folder (from Mac Finder), then the recipient clicks on the link, then has to find the folder in desktop sync and then sync to it. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Share sync configuration

Hello @Gungadinn,

It would help to know what you mean when you say sync automatically to the folder. If the Desktop Sync ap is involved, then the recipient can only sync the folder from his/her computer. 

If you are sharing links to a folder, then the recipient will only be able to download the contents from it. The share folder link serves this purpose only. 

Infact, no share links will allow any user to sync files automatically with that folder. However, if you think that you can better explain this issue over the phone, you can always reach out to support@egnyte.com and file a support request. Our support team can call to discuss this issue and answer your questions.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
Gungadinn
Deputy

It would be an internal situation. I know you can share links outside of your egnyte network, but this is strictly internal. So say your coworker is working on a job and they share with you the link to the folder. Then you have to go to that folder, find where it is located, then sync to it. That to me seems a little clunky. If you're all on the same Egnyte platform, you should be able to (in theory) send a sync link so all you have to do is click "Sync" (the only options currently are "Download Folder" and "Go To Folder"). I guess there's no connection between the Egnyte server and the Desktop Sync website...

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi @Gungadinn,

Thank you for clarification. 

There is no such feature available on Egnyte. The Desktop Sync page is just a local page on your machine. So yes, you can say that the Desktop Sync page and the Egnyte UI are not connected in anyway. 

I will have our Product Team take a look at this and see if this kind of functionality would be possible. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
Gungadinn
Deputy

Oh, that would be great for the product team to take a look at this feature. From an internal user stand-point, I feel it would help with productivity.

Thanks!

0 Kudos