Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneously edit a document

Highlighted
AshleyM
Deputy

Simultaneously edit a document

Is there a way for many users to simultaneously edit a document in Egynte? I'm thinking similar to Google Docs or the collaboration tool in Word. We want to minimize versioning, but also be able to work on documents from various locations without having to wait hours for the master copy to be posted. 

Thanks.

Labels (2)
7 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Simultaneously edit a document

Hello @AshleyM,

Thank you for reaching out. 

The answer to your question is a YES. With Egnyte’s Office Online Integration, you can easily collaborate with the co-authoring capabilities of Microsoft Office applications, which allow multiple users to work concurrently on the same document.

Here is a link to our knowledge base article that will give you some more information about this integration; - 

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/216032318-Co-Authoring-with-Egnyte-s-Microsoft-Office-...

More information about our integration with Microsoft can be found here : 

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/218823337-Microsoft-Integration-with-Egnyte

I hope this helps. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
AshleyM
Deputy

Thanks Sagar,

But on that same thread of thought, if we wish to use track changes, how can we see those edits while in the document?  I know that Word online typically does include track changes, but I have yet to find it in Egnyte. 

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi @AshleyM,

Change tracking is available on Word online. On Egnyte, we do this via file versions. The last person that edits and closes it before the changes get saved to Egnyte. This user's name will show up on the file version saved on Egnyte.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
AshleyM
Deputy

Thanks for your reply, but if I were to go back into the document after my coworker saved it and made changes, would those edits be highlighted in a different color for me like they are with Word track changes? I like the funtionality of being able to save in Egnyte, as this is good for version control, but I would also like to see the formatting changes, deletions, and word additions that are capable with a traditional track changes. 

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

@AshleyM,

Egnyte does not maintain the edits using highlights. I will have to check with our Integrations Team if there is a way out.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MarkH1
Vigilante

Thanks for the response. 

Some of my users are asking for full MS desktop functionality for document collaboration. Any plans to provide full MS desktop collaboration functionality? MS Online functionality is limited.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Hi @MarkH1,

That is something that is dependent on Microsoft API's that are not currently available. We haven't seen any plans for this in their roadmap, unfortunately. 

@AshleyM, In terms of having the Egnyte product adding functionality to show edits, please add your specific request to the Ideas board so it can collect votes from other members and we can share whether or not it will be put on our roadmap.

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos