cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The future and current usage of Egnyte Turbo

The future and current usage of Egnyte Turbo

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am thinking about using Egnyte Turbo in our organization. However, I am also understandably wary of using a beta product in a production environment. Ideally Egnyte Turbo would be able to combine the best features of both Egnyte Storage Sync and the standard Egnyte Connect Desktop/Web. Egnyte Storage Sync allows selected folders/files to be synced with another branch or office as they are changed as well as cached and accessed at LAN speeds. Egnyte Connect Desktop/Web provides convenience.

Am I correct in understanding that the purpose of Egnyte Turbo is to provide a sort of 'bridge' between these two services? If this is the case, I would like to eventually replace our Egnyte Storage Sync setup with Egnyte Turbo in all of our locations -- likely syncing anywhere from 50-80% of our total stored data on the Egnyte platform. Of course this would take quite some time to roll out and populate. However if I understand it correctly, this would allow for dynamic connections to either LAN storage or the Egnyte cloud depending on which is faster, all through the same drive that is mapped through the Egnyte Connect Desktop application. Am I correct in my understanding of Egnyte Turbo, or am I expecting too much?

Thank you,

Andrew

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: The future and current usage of Egnyte Turbo

Jump to solution

Hi Andrew,

Yes, you are right. This is how the Turbo is supposed to function. If you deploy turbo in your environment, then the Desktop App will automatically discover and connect to the nearest Turbo device. If it find the device, the connection will be established. If not, the Desktop app will connect to your Egnyte Cloud.

My suggestion would be to test the beta in a smaller environment for some time before you roll it out into production. The reason this product is in beta is that it is not yet full prepared to go all out with any amount of data on premise. In-fact we want the users to try out our new product and provide feedback on their experiences. We're still working on bringing the perfect user experience. 

Let me know if you have questions and I will be glad to answer them for you. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Andrew,

Yes, you are right. This is how the Turbo is supposed to function. If you deploy turbo in your environment, then the Desktop App will automatically discover and connect to the nearest Turbo device. If it find the device, the connection will be established. If not, the Desktop app will connect to your Egnyte Cloud.

My suggestion would be to test the beta in a smaller environment for some time before you roll it out into production. The reason this product is in beta is that it is not yet full prepared to go all out with any amount of data on premise. In-fact we want the users to try out our new product and provide feedback on their experiences. We're still working on bringing the perfect user experience. 

Let me know if you have questions and I will be glad to answer them for you. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."

View solution in original post

Brian Beaton
Steward

Jump to solution

Is it expected that the Turbo VM will be on the same subnet as the local client machines or :

1. will you update the Desktop app settings to incorporate a "local" IP of a Turbo server?

2. Incorporate into the cloud server side a list of IP's for remote machines to try to connect to, checking latency, or

3. will it find a local server using the Bonjour service?

I am thinking about how to design my local networks since remote laptops coming into the office typically connect via Wifi on a separate subnet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Brian,

Users' access to a Turbo device is determined by a combination of group access and a latency test. As long as the subnet of the Turbo device is accessible from the users' subnet, Turbo will be able to connect.

Thanks.

Cara de Freitas Bart

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sagar -- 

Could you please expand on what you mean by "The reason this product is in beta is that it is not yet full prepared to go all out with any amount of data on premise." ?

Are there specific recommended limitations on the number of files or total size that are presently supported?  We are also interested in setting up Egnyte Turbo, but am curious what potential risks exist currently?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Turbo would be perfect for our organization as it would allow users to access files at LAN speeds when in the office and seamlessly transfer to cloud access when out of the office (this would likely require periodic 'heartbeat' connections to check latency). My hope is to eventually replace our Egnyte Storage Sync appliances with Egnyte Turbo installations. How far along the line would you say Turbo is to completing beta testing? What I mean is does Turbo have a long way to go yet before it is reliable/complete enough to conclude the beta stage? I am very interested but am understandably reluctant to entrust our organization's data to a beta version of a product. 

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Chris,

There are no such limitation per se. The only ones that I know of are:

• Users cannot move a folder selected for sync into a folder not selected for sync
  • Some Chrome extensions will interfere with Turbo UI capabilities.

My response was solely based on the assumption that Andrew would be looking TB's of data since he was talking of data being exchanged across offices. My suggestion was a safe approach to test this beat for some time first and if you find it fit for your users in terms of accessibility, then you can think of deploying it in production. I am sorry if my suggestion sounded otherwise. 

Andrew,

I would say Turbo for Windows was the first step towards making things easier for the users. It would be in beta for some more time coz we have not gathered enough data yet. Also Turbo for MAC is not yet introduced. So I anticipate it to go full throttle once we get the Desktop clients ready for Windows and MAC both. 

I completely understand your reluctance to introduce this to your users. But like I mentioned, why don't you experience it with a set of test users and see how it interacts. You can also provide your feedback based on your experience. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Brian Beaton
Steward

Jump to solution

Does Turbo sync entire files or just the entire file once, then the File changes (delta)?

We are seeing up to 6 minutes to sync a small file change in a large file across to the next desk and to the other offices.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Brian,

The syncing of the entire file only happens once. Later the subsequents syncs will only sync the deltas. If you see any unexpected dealys in the syncs, I would suggest you engage with our support team and let them dive into this. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired Employee vikramjayaraman
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Brian 

There is no delta sync within a file. For example if you made some corrections/edits to a word document and saved it to Turbo. We will have to sync the entire file.  

What Sagar is talking about is how the sync works, If a folder is down synced to Turbo and you update the document. We will just upsync that document not the entire folder. 

Hope this provides some clarity, happy to get on a call and discuss this in detail as needed

0 Kudos