cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to save my excel files while offline.

Unable to save my excel files while offline.

In the past we were able to move an excel file to the "offline" tab. While the tablet was offline we could make changes to the excel spreadsheet save and close the file.  When we were back in the office and connected to the wifi we could "sync" the changes by hitting the "update all" button and the excel file would be synced back to the cloud.  We could then remove the offline files.  We are no longer able to this.  Can anyone help me save my work and then sync my files once I'm back in wifi range.  Thanks for any advice.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Unable to save my excel files while offline.

Hello @Michelle Hoffma2,

Thank you for writing to the community and very sorry for missing out on this one. 

If this is still an issue could you please confirm the version of the Egnyte app and the OS on your Tablet. Also since you say you are no longer able to do this, do you mean syncing files for offline usage or updating the files after connecting to a network ?

We would like to replicate this on our end based on the information you provide.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Cheyenne
Vigilante

The version of Egnyte is 8.3.1 and it is an Samsung SM-T713 tablet. We can mark files for offline use and get them open but once they are opened they show up as a 'Read-Only' file and it will only save changes that we make if we save a copy of the file to the tablet and then we have to re-upload the file. So we cannot update the files after connecting to a network. 

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello @Cheyenne,

Marking files for offline usage was a feature which was designed & implemented so that users can work on the file without depending on the internet connectivity.

I personally tested this on my android phone and it seems to have worked as expected. 

I will be checking with my product team about this issue. In the meanwhile, can you confirm if you found other users reporting issues with files being marked read-only ? 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Cheyenne
Vigilante

@Sagar  there are 8 of us at our office that experience this problem. We have tried it on some of our other tablets and have the same problem of the files being read only. 

Maybe we are doing something wrong? Below are the steps we use to make a file availble offline, please let me know if we should be doing it differently.

1. Open Egnyte and go to the Files tab
  2. Find files we want to work on offline (usually an Excel document)
  3. Select 'Mark Offline'
  4. Turn off internet connection or go into the field where there is no internet
  5. Go to the Offline tab
  6. Click the file I want to work on
  7. Select 'Open with: Excel (Offline Copy)'
  8. File opens and it is a Read Only
0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Thanks @Cheyenne. I will try the same steps on my end and will write back with the results. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi @Cheyenne,

I was able to reproduce the issue on my end too. Allow me to have the steps checked with our Mobile team. I will update this post once I get more information on this.

Thank you for your patience and co-operation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Cheyenne
Vigilante

Hi @Sagar 

Just checking in to see if you and your team have come up with a solution for the files being read-only when downloaded for offline.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee Bartosz Witoń
Employee

Hi @Cheyenne 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This problem is a very complex one (it has dependencies between Android System API, Microsoft App, and the Egnyte App). My team is still analyzing the best option to solve it. I will provide updates here as we learn more. 

Bartek

0 Kudos
Employee Bartosz Witoń
Employee

We have analyzed this problem on our side and we see that the solution to this problem may be on Microsoft's side. We have reached out to them. I will let you know once we get some more details.

Thanks

Bartek

0 Kudos