Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using Desktop Sync on Mac Finder search does not work

Simon Mason
Steward

When using Desktop Sync on Mac Finder search does not work

Jump to solution

I am using Desktop Sync Version 9.2.4 (167481) on 10.14.3, When I search for a specific file name in the Finder search function for a given folder it does not return any results.  When I log into egnyte.com go to the same folder and run the same search I get results.  Is this a limitation of desktop sync.

Also, it appearst that it has been noted many times before but the search results on egnyte.com are not sortable by date, or anything I can see.  Just checking to see if I missed something or is this still a limitation?  Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager KathleenHunt
Community Manager

Re: When using Desktop Sync on Mac Finder search does not work

Jump to solution

@DP Frost 

Desktop App 3.5 for Mac has been released, so you can now search for files and folders from the Desktop App menu! You can also quickly find files you've recently worked on for easy access to the most relevant content.

You can read more about the recent release here.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @Simon Mason,

Thank you for reaching out. 

This is something really odd. I do know of the fact that we are in plans to introduce search on Desktop App. Additionally I did not find any reports of search not working with the Desktop Sync. Since files in the Desktop Sync are locally available on your mac, they do get indexed with the mac's indexing service, they should be easily searchable. 

I will give this a try on our in-house mac machine and post an update once I am able to reproduce the issue. In the meanwhile, if this issue is causing delays in your work, I suggest you write to our support team for assistance. You can reach them on support@egnyte.com. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @Simon Mason,

Apologies for the delay and thank you for your patience.

I did attempt to reproduce this issue on our in-house mac machine without any luck. The only difference in my test was that I tested this scenario with the latest version of the Desktop Sync app i. v9.3.1. 

Is there any other machine which exhibits the same behavior with similar configuration ? If this continues to be an issue for you, I would urge you to connect with our support team asap for assistance.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Simon Mason
Steward

Jump to solution

My bad - I amd running desktop sync and desktop connect.  The issue is actually with folders that through desktop connect 3.2.1.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

@Simon Mason,

I thought so. 

We will implement our own cloud search in the Desktop App's UI. This feature will allow you to search for all Egnyte files that you have access to and open them right from your computer.

For search - we're currently looking at implementing this feature described in the first half of 2019.

It will be full-text search driven from the cloud so indexing will not need to be generated or stored on user's machines.

Thanks.

Simon Mason
Steward

Jump to solution

Thanks - at least I know it is not me.

0 Kudos
DP Frost
Vigilante

Jump to solution
Hi,

Do you know how long until this is implemented. We are currently testing Egnyte but if the ability to search is not soon resolved we will unfortunately have to look at an alternative product.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @DP Frost, the new search will be included in 3.5.0. We are doing full internal testing and estimate it will be released publically around the end of August.

Hope that helps.

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
Community Manager KathleenHunt
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@DP Frost 

Desktop App 3.5 for Mac has been released, so you can now search for files and folders from the Desktop App menu! You can also quickly find files you've recently worked on for easy access to the most relevant content.

You can read more about the recent release here.

0 Kudos