Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we lose the 'Send Link' option?

Justin Madden
Resident

Why do we lose the 'Send Link' option?

Jump to solution

'Send Link' was perfect! It allowed us to send an email with the name of the file, and the link underneath.
Now it's been replaced with a 'Share' option, which only allows us to copy the link, not the name of the file?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Don David
Community Manager

Re: Why do we lose the 'Send Link' option?

Jump to solution

Hi Justin,

We recently made changes to the UI to streamline the actions for sharing links. All capabilities such as sending an email and adding the name of the file remains intact. After clicking 'Share,' simply click on 'Change link options' then select 'Include the file or folder in link.'

I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager Don David
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi Justin,

We recently made changes to the UI to streamline the actions for sharing links. All capabilities such as sending an email and adding the name of the file remains intact. After clicking 'Share,' simply click on 'Change link options' then select 'Include the file or folder in link.'

I hope that helps.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It's interesting that I found this post from 2 years ago even though I still had the file name in my link shares from the drive up until a month or two ago. Now when I right click and choose "copy link" from my egnyte drive, it only shows a generic egnyte link. The reason this isn't ideal is for sharing bid documents for a project, when you check months later to determine if you sent all pertinent information or not, there is no way to be certain you shared everything without proper file names showing in the link. Choosing instead to use the "share link" option which takes me to the web page where I have to then click on "change link options" then "show file name" then "copy link" then be able to finally paste into an email is clunky and inconvenient. I need a simpler way, please help me make this a default. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Jessica,

Let me check about this with the UI team and get back to you. As far as I know, the include file name feature was available in share link option, but not in the copy link. I may be wrong, so I would get a confirmation and come back to you on this. 

Thanks

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Jessica,

Looks like this is a product level feature change. I had a word with our engineering team about the point you raised and it turns out that we changed this behavior quite a while ago.  

The reason was that many users would often click copy link and then paste expecting only a link to come up (ie. they were expecting a literal copy of only a link). In a lot of cases, they would generated hyperlinks this way and need to remove the file name.

The only case where we post the filename now is if it's a password protected link, where we also include the password text.

If you have any, I am open to more questions you may have on Egnyte. 

Thanks

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Jessica,

Thank you for the detailed information. Let me get back to the Product Team to see if this can be introduced. I will write back once I have more info. 

Thanks

0 Kudos