Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Work From Anywhere" Tip: Mind Your Security

Community Manager
Community Manager
0 0 3,823

security-2168233_1920.jpg

Whether you're an old pro at working in unusual or remote locations or you're new to it, it can be useful to keep some good practices in mind to help be productive, secure and healthy.  With that in mind, we'll be sharing some tips from our own internal experts and from you, our Egnyte community members. 

Today's Tip: Even in the privacy of your own home, security concerns are very real and varied from your ordinary office life. 

We've come to depend on the defense mechanisms our organizations set up to protect us: 

network security, browsing restrictions, antivirus software, and more. But even if these measures are present in your home network and on your home machine, working remotely can pose unique security risks. 

While the recent measures taken to battle COVID-19 have created vulnerabilities that bad actors are keen to take advantage of, the reality is that working remotely has its own vulnerabilities you may not have considered. Here are just a few: 

ISP Equipment - You might know the computer you use is well secured (or the computer your employees are taking home to use), but many people who are new to working from home might not have stopped to consider the equipment provided to them by their internet provider. Take it from my experience: my first day working remotely in a job years ago, my network was renamed and given a new password by a bored teenager in my neighborhood. The point of failure was the equipment provided by our ISP, who had default passwords and no easy or convenient way to change them. If you're in doubt and using ISP-provided equipment, call them to find out how to change away from their default. 

Social Media - In this case, we don't mean the dangers of browsing social media on your work equipment (though those are well known and documented). Especially in a remote working situation that's novel, the temptation might be to share your experience with your broader network. That's not a bad thing - staying connected while working remotely is critical - but be careful what you share. Details like specific software or pictures that show your computer desktop may be a point of vulnerability. Just think through what you share. 

Phishing In a New Form - Particularly when remote working is at an all-time high, phishing attempts may take on a new look and feel. Teleconferencing services and other remote staples suffer from increased attacks during these times, and "lookalike" phonies are everywhere hoping to catch an overworked employee with a careless click. 

What security measures have you taken as remote working has become more common? We'd love to hear about it over on the Working From Anywhere discussion forums.

Image credit: JanBaby via Pixabay